Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Shelach: Pomegranates, figs & grapes

Kate and I sent books to our immediate family, to help prepare them for the adoption to come. Adoption is not just a process for me and Kate; our family must also navigate the emotional twists and turns of bringing in a new family member. By sending them a book, we wanted to share with them some of the answers we've come to, as well as help them find their own answers.

As each family member got the book, it felt like a virtual hug. My brother, overwhelmed with emotion, called and told me he "can't wait to be Uncle Izzy." My father told me that the book helped him feel included. My moms couldn't wait to read it. Kate's mom picked our her grandmother name, and I was so touched & overwhelmed that Cecilia picked out a name too. Kate's dad and wife - living in Ohio - finally received the book as well, and are excited for us.

After my hard conversation with the social workers, it was like the spies of my past returning with sweet things to savor, not harsh words to worry about. So much has changed since my childhood, and I'm so glad to have a supportive family that loves me and looks to see my family flourish.

No comments:

Post a Comment